BRIEFING TO THE MEDIA ON CABINET DECISIONS TAKEN DURING THE CABINET MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 28th JANUARY 2019 AT STATE HOUSE ENTEBBE.
Cabinet sat on Monday January 28, 2019 at State House Entebbe, and;
- Noted the Wealth Creation Initiatives under State House which
Supports a number of Presidential Initiatives aimed at stimulating, production and productivity, employment as well as Socio – Economic transformation among Ugandans. The specific interventions include; these include;
- The Poverty Alleviation Initiatives, which involves establishing model villages and demonstration farms;
- Skilling the Girl Child Project ;
- Support to the Youth through provision of Common User Facilities and start –up capital.
- Approved the Principles for the Animal Feeds Bill, 2018. The objectives of the proposed Bill include ;
- Promote a well- regulated Animal Feeds industry integrating the various aspirations for its stakeholders, farmers, clients and the related value chain actors;
- Promote the development of the Animal Feeds Industry for increased production of quality feeds at affordable costs.
- Approved the Principles for the proposed Older Persons’ Bill 2019.The Policy objectives of the Bill are to ;
- Enhance protection and realization of older person’s rights;
- Promote and protect the wellbeing, safety and security of older person;
- Combat abuse of older persons;
- To provide for a rights based approach to social protection programming of older persons;
- Streamline care services for older persons;
- Provide for a structure through which free and fair elections of representatives of Older Persons Councils can be conducted at all levels;
- Amend and harmonize existing inconsistent or inadequate provisions in the current Law.
- Approved the Accession of the Government of the Republic of Uganda to the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative. The Country will benefit through :
- Improved investment climate by giving a clear signal to investors and International Financial Institutions that the Government is committed to improving transparency , which in turn can lead to increased investment in the Country ;
- Improve the revenue collection process and boost Public Finances;
- Minimize oil, gas and mining revenues being mismanaged or lost to corruption;
- Assist in strengthening licensing and record keeping ;
- Improve Corporate risk management and Governance ;
- Promote accountability and fight corruption;
- Influence Government Policy to ensure that the Country maximizes benefits from its Natural Resources and reduces levels of Poverty.
Ofwono Opondo-Executive Director
Uganda Media Centre