To oversee and coordinate the planning and deployment of core ICT infrastructure in the country in collaboration with ICT infrastructure providers, regulators and related utility providers.
In Ugandan context, the scope of ICT infrastructure is defined to mean infrastructure used for telecommunications; data communication; radio communications; postal communications and broadcasting communications. For clarity and ease of administration, ICT infrastructure are categorized as either;
- Tangible – fiber optic cables, satellites, masts/towers and related transmission facilities that provide intercity/region connectivity among others
- Intangible – ICT infrastructure includes spectrum, numbering schemes
The long term goal of the department is to harmonize the planning, rollout, regulation and management of core ICT infrastructure in the country in collaboration with other sectors and utility providers.
The key specific functions are to:
- Develop Policies, Laws, strategies, Guidelines and Standards on ICT infrastructure development
- Coordinate the implementation of Laws, strategies, Guidelines and Standards on ICT infrastructure development.
- Implement, monitor and evaluate Policies, Laws, Strategies and Guidelines on ICT infrastructure Development.
- Develop and update an ICT infrastructure blueprint for Uganda and ensure compliance by all infrastructure developers and providers.
- Develop and implement strategic projects aimed at developing ICT infrastructure efficiently and effectively.
- Provide technical advice and support to Ministries, Departments, Agencies and Local Governments and other stakeholders related to ICT infrastructure development.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of National Information Technology Authority- Uganda; Uganda Communications Commission; Uganda Telecom Limited; and Uganda Broadcasting Corporation on ICT infrastructure related matters.
- Establish and implement innovative mechanisms for effective and efficient management of Radio Spectrum and Satellite orbital locations.
- Provide technical support in formulation of practical engineering solutions for end to end management of waste arising from electronic products/ICT equipment and devices.
- Provide leadership and coordinate national, regional and international ICT infrastructure development initiatives/programs/projects.