What the department does
To coordinate, promote and monitor the development of enabling environment and implementation of digital transformation and e-Services interventions.
- Coordinating the Government of Uganda’s image/PR/brand management across MDAs and LGs.
- Content development and management.
- Formulate and implement laws, policies, and guidelines for regulating the media.
- Coordinate the Government of Uganda’s Communication and Public Relations function. This involves disseminating information about GOU policies, laws, programs, and priorities in MDAs and LGs in line with NDP III and Vision 2040.
- Provide media and publicity support for national and international events and commemorative days.
- Sensitizing stakeholders about media and communication laws and policies.
- Developing, implementing, and periodically reviewing the communication framework for the Government. This includes ensuring that communication plans for MDAs and LGs are properly aligned with the said communication framework.
- Undertake capacity building for GOU communication actors at the center and in LGs.
- To ensure a well-informed and mobilized society.
The Department has over time achieved key milestones like:
- The department successfully organized the inaugural National ICT Job Fair 2022.
- Implemented the Ask Your Government Facility (askyourgov.ug) Initiative in partnership with the Africa Freedom of Information Centre (AFIC) and Collaboration on International ICT Policy for East and Southern Africa (CIPESA)