Ministry of Information Communications Technology & National Guidance through the National Information Technology Authority of Uganda (NITA-U) has implemented the National Data Transmission Backbone Infrastructure and e-Government Infrastructure Project (NBI/EGI).
It’s major aims are to connect all major towns within the country onto an Optical Fibre Cable based Network and to connect Ministries and Government Departments onto the e-Government Network.
The Project has been completed and consists of the following:
- EGI equipment (Video conferencing and VOIP) rolled out and commissioned in Government Ministries and Departments
- Built the NBI Data centre infrastructure with government applications (UMCS and Email) at Statistics house
- Laying of over 12,000 Km of Optical Fibre Cable across the country to build the National Data Transmission Backbone;
- Connection of NBI to the borders of Southern Sudan (Elegu) and Kenya (Malaba and Busia) thereby linking the country to other regional backbone infrastructure;
- Expansion of the Government Metropolitan Area Network into a Wide Area Network covering the 22 towns of Kampala, Entebbe, Bombo, Mukono, Jinja, Busia, Tororo, Malaba, Kumi, Mbale, Soroti, Lira, Gulu, Masindi, Nakasongola, Luwero, Mbarara, Kasese, Fort Portal and Kyenjojo.
- Extension of connectivity been Kampala-Masaka, Masaka-Mutukula, Mbarara-Kabale Kabale-Katuna and Kyenjojo-Hoima have been completed
- A state of the art Network Operations Centre (NOC) has been built to monitor and administer the entire NBI Infrastructure.
- Environmental and Monitoring Systems(EMS) were installed at all Transmission Sites across the Country
As a result, NITA-U is offering the following E-government Services over National Data Transmission Backbone Infrastructure (NBI)
- Internet bandwidth
- Leased Line Services
- Hosting/Co-location in National data centre
- Unified Messaging and Collaboration System (UMSC)
- Government Web Portals
- Government Citizens Interactions Centre (GCIC)
- Voice over IP
- Connecting to Integrated Financial Management Services
- Video Conferencing for MDAs