Under the mandate of regulation of ICT infrastructure, the Ministry of ICT through the National Information Technology Authority (NITA) organised the launch on 26th August 2022 at Kaunda grounds, Gulu. The launch was officially kicked off by The President of Uganda, H.E Yoweri Kaguta Museveni.
The Regional Communication Infrastructure Programme (RCIP) under NITA Uganda has registered the following achievements to date;
- Entire Government system integration completed – Over 80 entities integrated onto the Government Integration platform (UGHub)
- Government Unified messaging and Collaboration Service (UMCS) established. Provision completed for 129 Government entities with a total of over 23,000 users
- RCIP has lowered internet prices from $300/month to $70/month per mbps
- Government SMS/USSD Gateway was successfully developed. This involves establishment of a platform that dispatches bulk SMS and is currently utilised by 32 Ministries, Departments & Agencies utilising over 20 services.
- Government has established a centralised Hosting Facility that provides services to all Government systems and applications. The data Centre has maintained over 99.9% uptime.
In his remarks the Minister of ICT and National Guidance Hon Chris Baryomunsi said “Your excellence, this is a twin ceremony where we invited to commission the regional ICT infrastructure and E-Government and also the Ministry of Gender for the International Youth Day”.
“The Ministry is in charge of facilitating digital transformation in Uganda and we need to assure you that we are doing what it takes to ensure that Uganda remains part of the transformation of the revolution as we embrace technology.”
The Executive Director of NITA-U, Dr Hatwib Mugasa expressed appreciation for the launch as this will provide Ugandans with an accessible service
The chief guest, H.E The President said computers and ICTs are enablers of efficiency. ” I am glad I saw people at the exhibition assembling phones and laptops, we will not only assemble but manufacture computers and phones here”
“As I commission the Regional ICT Infrastructure and E-Government Services I encourage the people of Uganda to appreciate and support the digital transformation agenda.”