BRIEFING TO THE MEDIA ON CABINET DECISIONS TAKEN DURING THE CABINET MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 19TH NOVEMBER, 2018 AT STATE HOUSE ENTEBBE.
Cabinet sat on Monday November 19, 2018 at State House Entebbe and;
- Noted that Uganda will Host the 3rd Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) World Congress in July 2020.
The expected outcomes of the conference include;
- Good practices shared on CBR and Inclusive Development from different Countries that will help facilitate improved Service Delivery to persons with disabilities;
- Awareness creation on the rights and needs of persons with disabilities which will facilitate disability inclusion and mainstreaming;
- Strategies for poverty reduction among persons with disabilities will be adopted from experiences of other Countries; and
- Sustainable collaboration among stakeholders and Development Partners.
- Noted the introduction of the International East African e-Passports and eventual Phase-out of the current East African and National Machine Readable Passports and that Citizens wishing to apply for the current National Machine Readable Passports now but without an urgent need for International travel between now and 10th January, 2019 will be strongly advised to wait until the commissioning and launch of the e- passport system on 10th January 2019, so that they can be able to apply and be issued with the new International EAC e-Passport with an activated chip.
Benefits of the e-Passport include among others;
- Facilitate travel within the region and will also be equipped with adequate Security features that can help handle matters connected with transnational crime like identity fraud;
- Provide an opportunity for integration with other innovative solutions for online identification and authentication for e-Government Services.
- Constituted a Cabinet Committee to be chaired by the 1st Deputy Prime Minister and Deputy Leader of Government Business in Parliament to look into issues that were brought to the attention of H.E. the President by the business community during his tour of the Central Business District of Kampala.