Ministry of Information Communications Technology & National Guidance through the National Information Technology Authority of Uganda (NITA-U) has implemented the National Data Transmission Backbone Infrastructure and e-Government Infrastructure Project (NBI/EGI).
It’s major aims are to connect all major towns within the country onto an Optical Fibre Cable based Network and to connect Ministries and Government Departments onto the e-Government Network.
The Project has been completed and consists of the following:
- a) EGI equipment (Video conferencing and VOIP) rolled out and commissioned in 27 Government Ministries and Departments
- b) Installation of Metropolitan Area Network in Statistics House connecting 27 MDAs
Built the NBI Data centre infrastructure with government applications (UMCS and Email) at Statistics house
- c) Laying of 1590 Km of Optical Fibre Cable across the country to build the National Data Transmission Backbone;
- d) Connection of NBI to the borders of Southern Sudan (Elegu) and Kenya (Malaba and Busia) thereby linking the country to other regional backbone infrastructure;
- e) Expansion of the Government Metropolitan Area Network into a Wide Area Network covering the 22 towns of Kampala, Entebbe, Bombo, Mukono, Jinja, Busia, Tororo, Malaba, Kumi, Mbale, Soroti, Lira, Gulu, Masindi, Nakasongola, Luwero, Mbarara, Kasese, Fort Portal and Kyenjojo.
- f) Extension of connectivity been Kampala-Masaka, Masaka-Mutukula, Mbarara-Kabale Kabale-Katuna and Kyenjojo-Hoima have been completed
- g) A state of the art Network Operations Centre (NOC) has been built to monitor and administer the entire NBI Infrastructure.
- h) Environmental and Monitoring Systems(EMS) were installed at all Transmission Sites across the Country
As a result, NITA-U is offering the following E-government Services over National Data Transmission Backbone Infrastructure (NBI)
- a) Internet bandwidth
b) Leased Line Services
c) Hosting/Co-location in National data centre
d) Unified Messaging and Collaboration System (UMSC)
e) Government Web Portals
f) Government Citizens Interactions Centre (GCIC)
g) Voice over IP
h) Connecting to Integrated Financial Management Services
i) Video Conferencing for MDAs