CABINET DECISIONS TAKEN DURING THE CABINET MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 20TH MAY, 2019 AT STATE HOUSE, ENTEBBE.
Cabinet sat on Monday May 20, 2019 at State House Entebbe, and;
- Noted that Celebrations Marking the 30th Heroes Day Anniversary will be held on Sunday 9th June, 2019 at Kasanje Playgrounds , Kasanje Town Council in Wakiso District under the theme: “Celebrating the courageous Heroes who brought Peace and prosperity we are enjoying”.
- Approved the Amendment of ; the Administrators General’s Act, Cap 157, the Succession Act, Cap 162, the Estates of Missing Person(Management) Act, Cap 159, the Administration of Estates(Small Estates) ( Special , Provisions) Act, Cap 156 and the Probate Resealing Act , Cap 160. The Amendments are intended to;
- Align the Administrators General’s Act to Articles 32(affirmative action in favour of marginalized groups) and 33 (Rights of Women) of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda;
- Provide for the requirement for notice of application for letters of administration by widowers or widows be given to the Administrator General before applying to the High Court for grants to administer deceased spouses estates;
- Provide a penalty for intermeddling in estates of deceased persons;
- Exempt the bank accounts of the Administrator General from attachment proceedings;
- Increase the jurisdiction of Administrator General from twenty thousand shillings to fifteen million shillings.
- Approved the creation of nine (9) New Cities and will comprise of the following Divisions ;
Effective 1st July 2020
- Arua city, Consisting of Arua Central Division and Ayivu Division;
- Mbarara city, consisting of Mbarara North Division and Mbarara South Division;
- Gulu city, consnsting of Laroo-Pece Division and Bardege-Layibi Division;
- Jinja city; consisting of Jinja South Division and Jinja North Division;
- Fort-Portal city, consisting of Fort Portal Central Division and Fort Portal North Division.
Effective 1st July 2021
- Mbale city , consisting of Industrial Division and North Division;
- Hoima city, consisting of Hoima East Division and Hoima West;
Effective 1st July 2022
- Lira city , consisting of Lira West Division and Lira East Division;
- Entebbe city, consisting of Entebbe Central Division and Entebbe North Division.
The expected out comes of creation of New cities is expected to;
- Lead to increase Urban Infrastructure services like tarmac roads, improved waste management, water services, effective and efficient Physical development and planning and implementation;
- Increase local revenue and Government fiscal transfers including increase in employment levels;
- Facilitate uniform and harmonized growth and development to avoid organic growth of towns.
- Approved the appointment of Members of the Board of Directors of the Uganda National Airline Company Limited.
- Approved the proposal to declare 100 Metre Zone of the Nile River Banks in Kalagala –Itanda Falls Central Forest Reserve to support the Bujagali Refinancing project. The expected outcomes will include;
- Increased protection and management of Extended Kalagala-Itanda Offset Area;
- Strengthened protection, conservation and management of the 100-Metre protection zone of the River Nile.
- Approved the ratification of the Agreement for the establishment of International Development Law Organization