BRIEFING TO THE MEDIA ON CABINET DECISIONS TAKEN DURING THE CABINET MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 25th FEBRUARY, 2019 AT STATE HOUSE, ENTEBBE
Cabinet sat on Monday February 25, 2019 at State House Entebbe, and;
- Noted that the Commemoration of the United Nations World Wildlife Day, 2019 will take place on 3rd March, 2019, at Boma Grounds ,Arua Municipality under the theme “Harmonious living between Wildlife and People’’.
- Approved the proposed measures to resolve the Apaa land Conflict(the approved measures some of which are still under consideration will be communicated in due course).
- Approved the Presidential Initiative to promote Agro-Industrialization for Local Economic Development (LED) in Rwenzori Region.The initiative is anchored in the National Vision 2040 and the National Development Plan II (2015-2020). The Initiative will systematically address the aspirations of the two National Frameworks throughof improving household incomes for poverty eradication and wealth creation.
Objectives of the Program include;
- Enhancing Private Sector growth and development through enterprise development and attracting foreign and local investors to participate in LED Initiatives;
- Promoting Cross-border trade through the construction of a bridge at Budiiba on River Semiliki to link Ntoroko and the entire region to Ituri in the Democratic Republic of Cong(DRC);
- Enhancing production and productivity of the Private Sector Industrialization through sustainable and readily available agro-raw material;
- Strengthening capabilities in terms of infrastructure and human Capital by investing in the existing National training institutions;
- Re-organizing and strengthening production and productivity to sustainably support Agro-based Industries;
- Improving market access for agro –Industrial products;
- Leverage the existing expertise and technology to develop the agro-industries and industrial parks;
- Providing effective coordination of all actors in the Agri-LED Programs across relevant MDAs and non-state actors;
- Supporting and promoting the Tourism Sector by putting in place the requisite infrastructure;
- Widening the revenue base for Local Government.